Monahan Girls’ Higher Secondary School earlier known Wesleyan Girls’ Mission School was founded in 1851 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu by a Methodist Missionary Rev. Dr. Ebenezer E. Jenkins with 28 hostelites and 139 day scholars. From a modest start of having one building comprising of one central hall and four classrooms, the school now has a sprawling campus. The vision of the educationists was to help the poor and the needy in the neighbourhood.
The school was recognised as a High School in 1891 and in 1980 the school was upgraded as a Higher Secondary School. In 1987 the English Medium section was started for classes LKG to Class V and the Monahan computer centre was set up in 1988 to enable students to apply for Computer Science as an elective in High School. The school also has a Hostel block which accommodates 120 children from nearby villages.
Besides academic excellence, the school emphasises on the promotion of sports. There are special coaches for games like volley ball, football, hockey, table tennis and badminton and the girls are encouraged to participate in sports and games.